Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Five Months/22-23 Weeks




















This four-five month age range has definitely had its up and downs.  During the day Maddex has been a dream.  He almost never cries, when he does it is because he wants or needs something-food, to change activities, sleep.  But at night he does not sleep!  Back at 2-3 months he was only waking 2 times a night and I couldn't wait until he got a little older and only woke up once.  I never thought he would regress!  During the four to five month age he began waking up on average 5 times.  Some nights as often as 11 times in a 9 hour span.  It has not been fun!  We heard about this typical sleep regression, but I never thought it would happen to us!  It has been very difficult, especially since I am back to work now.  More on that in another post.

Maddex has had a few more first since the last post.  On December 6 he slept over our friends' house.  It was a last minute thing.  My friend Erin knew that Maddex was giving a really hard time at night and she wanted to help us out and get some quality Maddex time.  So at around 2 pm on that day I decided why the heck not and we brought him over around 5:30 to spend the night at Dana and Erin's.  Everyone had a great time.  Maddex didn't fight going to sleep there, in fact, they said he appeared to be begging for cuddle time so he could snuggle up and go to sleep.  Then he slept from 8:30- 12, 12-3, and 3-8:30.  I kid you not.  The boy who had gotten up 10 times the night before only woke up twice!  The next night I had Maddex on my own because Kiel had to go away and wouldn't you know he was up 11 times from 9-6:30.  I was a mess!  At least I had caught up on sleep the night before.  So while he was away...I cried when we left him, I cried when I got ready for bed, I slept with his blanket and that's about the extent of my mushy Mama issues.  That, and we talked about him non-stop while we were out to dinner.  And I couldn't take my eyes off the one month old baby that was sitting a few tables away.  Kiel, on the other hand, was up all night worrying.  He was so afraid he would suffocate with his blanket or something terrible would happen.  I never once had thoughts like that!  I just missed him terribly!

I also let Maddex have his first experience with finger paint the other day.  He loved it!  I have pictures that I will post soon!  The only problem...he wanted to eat the paper!  I had to pay attention to everything he was doing!  A few days later I had him try these special crayons Erin let me borrow.  He was fine with the crayons, but I was working on my Christmas cards and he ate some of the paper!  He didn't swallow any but he was gagging and sure enough there was paper stuck to the roof of his mouth.  A rookie mom mistake!

On Sunday December 9 the night before I went to work Maddex had two more big firsts!  The first first-he rolled from his belly to his back!  Finally!!  He is getting better at this now too.  He is learning that his hands need to stay forward and not back like he is flying.  The second first?  He pooped in the tub!  I had a feeling it was going to happen considering Lauren was over and he always pees and poops on her.  So when she came into the bathroom with us for bath time I was a little nervous she was going to work the poop out of him again.  He doesn't disappoint!

Maddex has also been sitting up unassisted for quite a while.  I don't know when it becomes official.  I'm assuming its when he realizes that he can't throw himself backwards.  He has not hit that milestone, but if he is sitting petting the cat or playing his piano he can keep himself up for several minutes without help.  He just forgets that Mommy or Daddy is not behind him and he can't fling his head back.

I know I have said this before, but he LOVES the cats.  He is also doing a little call for the cats now too.  Its a high pitched "ooooo".  I'm wondering if he does the high pitched voice because that's how we call the cats to come to us.  He loves animals!  I am excited to bring him to my parents' this weekend to see how he is with their dog.

On December 3 we also brought him to see Santa for the first time.  He loved it!  He isn't afraid of strangers yet so he was perfectly content with Santa.  Kiel took all the pictures on his phone, but he did upload one to facebook so I'll save that on my phone so I can upload it here.   He is just sooo cute with his friend Santa!

He also started his swim classes on December 1.  I thought he would love them....Not so much!  The first class he cried for most of it.  I think it is mostly because the teenage instructors pass him along and the echos in the pool area.  When he is with me he is much better.  The second class he shed slightly fewer tears so I am hoping by his third class he is good.  I can't believe I have the cry baby in the class!

One last thing, when he cries and wants me to pick him up from his current activity I swear he says Mom.  Kiel even agrees!  But I guess it is normal for babies his age to repeat a certain syllable over and over.  I am just lucky he chose such a wonderful syllable!



- The Weekly List -

22-23 Weeks Old/5 Months
Total weight gain/loss:
Mom: I am still 20 pounds under and staying there so I think I'll get rid of my weight gain update from now on!  

Maddex: He recently gained a half pound.  He isn't gaining weight like he used to, obviously, but he looking so much bigger!  

Sleep: Sleep is still a struggle for our family!

Best moment this week: Meeting Santa, doing arts and crafts with him, hearing him say MOM MOM MOM when he cries!  Having family dinners, playing with him, all of his smiles and laughs.  Just being Mom to the most perfect baby boy.  

Miss Anything? I think the only thing to say is sleep!  And now that I am at work I obviously miss him terribly when he is not around!

Looking forward to: Christmas as a family.  Spending some quality family days together after Christmas.  

Likes:
Mom: 
-Everything about this child. 
-Going places with the boy and he totally just chills and watches everything
-Smiles from my boy
-His laugh
-When he seeks me out, finds me, and kicks and wiggles cuz he is so happy to see me!
(All the same!) (I still can't change these!)
-That he knows when it is time to sleep and he cuddles right in and passes right out.  
-That he doesn’t scream in the car anymore.  He just chills, hums/sings, or sleeps.  It’s great after all we have been through in the car!
-That he wants to play and cuddle when we get home from daycare. 
-That he loves my horrible singing voice. 


Maddex: 
-Spending time outside
-People watching
-Looking at himself in the mirror
-Watching Mommy's hair shake
-Blowing raspberries
-Diaper changes
-A & D ointment
-Kicking in the bath tub
-Chewing on my fingers
-Sleeping on Mommy's chest
-Being Super Baby!   
-Putting everything in my mouth
-Playing with toys
-My monkey toy
-Hanging out and eating dinner with Mommy and Daddy
-My new crinkly star blanket from Joe and Linda
-Shopping with Mommy
-Pears!!
-Yaz and Pesky
- Other little kids
-The Ta Ra Ra Boomdiyay game Mommy and Daddy play.  
-Dancing to Doobie Doobie Dooo with Mommy (I need to take videos of both of these things.)
-Knocking things off the table

Dislikes:
Mom: 
-Can’t think of any.  Maybe just that he doesn’t sleep through the night yet.

Maddex:  
-Getting dressed
-Sleeping the whole night in my Co-sleeper.  Mommy is much squishier!
-Sleeping alone 
-Sun in my face
-Wind
-That I can’t chase the kitties yet!
-Not being able to move where he wants to go. 
-Not being able to pick up big things like the TV remote, glasses, big books.  

Firsts
Mom
-Night away from my boy!
-Went back to work



Maddex:
-Sitting up
-Rolling over
-Pooping in the tub
-Finger Painting
-Coloring
-Picked out Xmas tree and decorated it with Mom and Dad
-Met Santa
-Sleepover
-All day alone at daycare

No comments:

Post a Comment