Friday, December 14, 2012

Things I learned while on maternity leave

During these past five months I have experienced much more than I ever thought possible.   I never knew how much my life would change just by bringing a new baby into this world.  Here are a few things I learned:

1. Labor and Delivery was the absolute worst pain of my life.  Pushing was unbearable, especially since his head and shoulders couldn't fit thought my pelvic area.  What would have happened if I had lived 100 years ago??

2.  Immediately following the worst pain of my life I was given the best present/reward I had ever received/earned.

3.  You will never know how deeply you can love someone until you hold your child for the first time.

4.  And that love you feel grows Every.Single.Day.  How is that even possible?

5.  The first few nights at home with the baby will seem like the hardest nights of your life.

6.  It actually can be a lot worse than those first few nights.  Growth spurts and sickness will cause your child to wake up every hour.  And sometimes, if you are lucky you kid will wake up even more often than that.  (I am looking forward to experiencing this as a working mom!)

6.  Don't make a deal with your partner that you will change all the poopy diapers if he wakes up with the baby in the morning.  You will inevitably wake up for all of the night feedings and early in the morning with the baby, even if your baby isn't dependent on the breast.

7.  Baby laundry really does pile up. And boy does it pile up fast!

8.  Everyone and their mother will stop and talk to you at the grocery store.  Each of those people will then share their birth story, tell you how old their "baby" is now, ask if your very masculine looking baby is a boy or a girl, tell you how cute the baby they weren't just sure of the gender is.

9.  Babies are a TON of work.  I constantly think about a) what it would be like to have twins and b) how teenagers and "bad people" raise children.  My 6 years of education specifically in caring/teaching children barely qualifies me to "be a decent mom".

10.  Everyone will have an opinion about how to raise your child: your family, the doctors, your friends, books.  But you have to do what is best for YOU and your new family.

11.  Go with your gut.  You know your child best.

12.  The swing is a godsend.  Register for one, borrow one, beg for one.  Whatever you do get a swing!

13.  Every day of your maternity leave you will think about returning to work.

14.  Push those thoughts about returning to work out of your pretty little head and enjoy the moment.

15.  Cherish the small moments.  Rocking him to sleep, giving him sleepy kisses, watching him play with his toys are some of my favorite moments.

16.  They really do grow so stinkin fast!  I cannot believe all he can do now and how much more he will be able to do before he turns one.  This first year is crazy!

17.  Breastfeeding has been a godsend.  I am so thankful I stuck with it even when I wanted to quit!  We save a ton of money and it is so much easier to feed him at night.  I just wish we could find an alternative to pumping.

18.  There is nothing more perfect than watching your baby snuggle and fall asleep in your arms.

19.  It is worth investing in a carseat that goes up to 35 pounds.  I didn't since I knew I wouldn't be able to hold even a 30 pound baby in the carrier.  However, Maddex is super broad and would be more comfortable in the up to 35 pound carseat.

20.  There is no other person in the world you will love more than your child.

21.  Seeing your baby's first smile makes all those sleepless nights and crying fits so worth it.

22.  Seeing your baby smile when you walk to in the room or come home is almost as wonderful as that first smile.

23.  You realize that you will stop at nothing to protect your child.  I would do absolutely anything for him without giving it a second thought.

24.  You forget to take care of yourself.  Early on there were days when I didn't realize I hadn't showered, brushed my teeth or even gone to the bathroom until Kiel got home and I realized I had been so consumed by the baby all day.

25.  But it is important to take a break from being a Mommy, even if it is just running to the grocery store for a minute.  But it is so much better to treat yourself to a pedicure!

26.  Weeks after your child is born you will begin planning the first birthday. (or maybe that's just me!)

27.  Maintaining a solid relationship with your partner is very hard when the child and all of his needs consume you, but it is important to make time for adult conversations/time together without the baby.

28.  It is impossible to get anything done with a baby around.

29.  The thought of having another baby is scary and exciting at the same time.

30.  You realize that your baby really is the cutest, smartest, strongest, best baby ever.  No lie.  Maddex really is.  Don't even try to compare your child to him.  Mine will always win!




2 comments:

  1. wonderful lessons to have learned! what an amazing experience you allowed yourself to have! xox *

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are enjoying every second with him!!!!! Maddex is one very lucky little boy, and you and Kiel are lucky parents.
    Continue to enjoy it goes by way to fast!! xxx000

    ReplyDelete