Monday, December 26, 2011

A Reflection on Week 12




Sorry Week 12 was completely overwhelming for me.  Besides the fact that it was the week leading up to Christmas, I was also suffering from a constant moderately-severe headache.  Each night after work I couldn’t wait to get home and just lay in the darkness.  I couldn’t muster the energy to document all the wonderful things that happened last week while they were happening, but I guess it is better to reflect now than never doing it.

As you can see, we were able to take our 12 Week belly photo.  This shot was taken at 10:30 at night after a 3 hour severe headache nap. 

12/20/2011
We were lucky enough to make it to Saint Vincent’s Hospital to have our “first look” ultra sound.  Now if hearing a heartbeat spells relief, seeing is really BELIEVING!  It was beyond amazing to see our little bundle for the first time.  He was so easy to spot and super active the whole time.  He was literally using his little legs to launch himself off the side of my uterus.   It was super cool to see that a twelve-week-old fetus looks undeniably human.  His big head and round belly took up most of his body mass, but it was still amazing to see the little legs and arms.  It was especially cool to see that he was trying to get his little fingers close to his mouth.  Are we going to have a thumb sucker on our hands?   The tech was amazing, she informed us that our little one’s heart rate was a speedy 172 beats per minute.  A little alarmed, I asked if that was okay and reassured me that is was due to the fact that we had quite the little squirmer in there.  I’m still a little bummed that I can’t feel all the activity that is constantly happening within me, but I guess I should enjoy my restful sleep since in just a few weeks the jumping bean will likely keep me awake at night!

On a funny note, when the tech told us the baby measured 59mm from crown to rump, Kiel quickly and nervously asked “Does that mean he doesn’t have legs?”  Clearly he hasn’t been reading the baby books and didn’t realize the standard measure of a fetus at this point is from the crown to rump since the legs are typically still curled up.   Being a professional and wanting to reassure a nervous father, the tech quickly located both legs and feet and took pictures to prove to Kiel that our little on does have legs (and arms and hands too!)

(photo taken 12/20/2011)


12/21/11
After seeing our baby the day before, I could not contain myself any longer.  I totally let the cat out of the bag at work.  I shared the news with my coworkers throughout the day and at 1 o’clock, I made the huge announcement to my 9 students.  Here is how it all went down:


I showed the class the picture of the ultrasound on my iphone.
Amanda: Does anyone know what this is?
Kids: Yeah, a baby.
Amanda: Yeah!  Why would I have a picture of a baby on my phone? Who do you think is having a baby?
Erika (snapping her fingers, squinting her eyes, trying to think of whose baby it is): Oh you know that lady. That lady, you know who I mean.
Amanda: That lady?  Who? 
Other kids: Yeah that lady. (I assume they were talking about the Easter Seals women who comes in to work on communication devices every other week). 
Amanda: Hmm?  No, who do you think has a baby in their belly?
Joel (pointing to me): YOU Amanda!
Amanda: Yeah you’re right!
Lizzy: Oh My God! Are you serious?  Let me see it!
All kids freaked out, screamed, laughed came up and hugged me, and rubbed my belly!  

I love that my students are just as excited as we are that there is a baby growing inside me.  The next day they were so cute, asking how I was feeling, rubbing my belly (that could get old), and just giving extra hugs.  I know they are going to be super awesome during this whole process.  Even though they all have behavior issues and learning troubles, they have the utmost respect for me, and would do anything to make sure I feel okay and they baby will be okay.  

We also made it facebook official on this day.  Here is the caption that accompanied the beautiful photo of our baby:

What's so special about Christmas this year? It's our 10th one together and the last one as "just the two of us!" Baby St. George is expected to make his or her grand entrance on or around July 2nd! We are so in love already!

I love how thrilled all of our friends and family are about this news!  Baby S already has so many people who love him (or her)! 

12/25/2011
Christmas morning I opened some pretty cool pregnancy/baby related items:


  • 3 super cute maternity shirts.
  • 2 pair of maternity pants-1 pair of brown work pants, and a cute pair of black capris that I am sure will be getting a TON of wear.
  • The BABY BULLET!!!!!  I know it will be about a year before I even get to use this incredible piece of technology, but I cannot wait to try it out!  Kiel may be sampling baby food in the near future!!
  • A Babies ‘r Us gift card!
  • A baby book to document what is happening now and during the first year.
  • A ring toy (you know the multi colored rings that vary in size from smallest to biggest on a post)
  • The Bella Band (in white)
  • A beautiful Willow Tree carving of a husband and a pregnant wife.
  • A bottle of Josh Beckett wine (wait, what?)

I am so lucky to have the most generous and supportive parents out there!  I am so thrilled that they are so excited and grateful to become grandparents!   2012 is going to be pretty incredible for all of us!!

There is no Weekly list for this week, but at least I took a picture!

2 comments:

  1. i am SO excited that you are documenting each week!! small things or big...you'll be so glad you did!
    p.s. i'll eat some baby bullet creations! ;) *
    ~lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us, Cimi. You will be glad to reflect on these moments when your little girl/boy (notice the gender I listed 1st) is born and being a mommy takes over your everything and you can't remember what it was like when it was just you & Kiel and baby fetus!
    ♥M

    ReplyDelete