Sunday, June 10, 2012

Crossing the Finish Line


The little ticker on the right of my page says 22 days until Baby Boy arrives.  I really hate this waiting game.  I wish I knew the exact date and time so I could really mentally prepare myself for what is to come!   Everything in my life has been well thought out and planned, right down to this pregnancy.  So you can only imagine how much this waiting game is driving me crazy!

Over the past few days I have been trying to mentally prepare for labor and birth, and I keep finding myself using the same analogy to psych myself up for the big event:

This is a marathon.

My first full marathon.  I have done all research for how to best succeed, practiced my drills, worked on breathing, stretching, and focusing on the ultimate goal.

I cannot believe how similar the feelings and anxiety I am experiencing right now are to how I feel before a big race, especially a race I haven't competed in before.  I feel prepared, yet scared that I will have to "drop out" before I cross the finish line.

I am hopeful that if I keep this idea in my head that I will succeed in having a natural childbirth.  There were so many times during my first (and only) triathlon last year that I wanted to just give up.  It was so hard and my body just wasn't as prepared as I had wanted it to be, but I pushed on and finished. I am able to bring my mind to another place during those excruciatingly difficult physical times, and I hope I am able to do that during childbirth.

Only time will tell...

1 comment:

  1. You will do great and remember the prize at the end of this marathon will be like no other you will/have ever received. You have prepared yourself the best you can and the outcome will be amazing :) xoM

    ReplyDelete