Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sick!

I tend to be a very healthy person from a very healthy family.  We rarely were sick growing up and as adults we still rarely take sick time (referring to Mom, Dad, and Corey).  Nik was actually never absent one day in high school.  How incredible is that?  

Well, I succumbed to an awful cold or infection of some sort.  It all began on Monday night.  I woke from a relatively restful sleep at 11 pm and was not able to fall back asleep until 8 in the morning. I felt horrible and what was worse was that I could not sleep.  I had never been so congested in my life!  I felt awful and really couldn't do much to make myself feel better. 

I didn't go to work yesterday and tried to catch up on my sleep.   By 2 pm I was feeling worse than I had been feeling in the morning.  I was really starting to worry that I would have to take another sick day on Wednesday. 

Well I woke up this morning at 4:20 and was trying to get ready since I only had to worry about teaching until 11 and then I could go home.  Something just didn't feel right so I pulled out the thermometer.  Well, I was beyond shocked to see that I had a fever of 101.8 degrees.  I immediately got on the internet to figure out what to do.  I had already taken Tylenol and the only other thing I could do before heading to the ER was bring my body temperature down with cold compresses.  Luckily, after about 45 minutes my fever started to slowly drop.  

In those 45 minutes I experienced something I had never felt before.  

I felt like a parent. 

This pregnancy still isn't completely real to me yet.  I haven't conclusively felt the baby.  I don't look all that pregnant.  And I don't really feel all that pregnant either.  However, I do know there is a little baby in there. And that little baby was in danger today.  Fevers of 102 degrees and higher can cause brain problems in unborn babies.  

I have never felt to scared in my life.  Sure, I have had health scares, but I have always felt strong enough to fight through anything.  This was different.  My baby could have been harmed. Things could have gone horribly wrong. My life would have changed forever.  

I am confident I got my fever down in time and that everything will be okay.  Although I would have liked to feel like a "mommy" for the first time under different circumstances, it was a new (and kinda good) feeling to know that my life is more meaningful than ever before.  

1 comment:

  1. i am so glad that you are feeling better!!
    you are already a wonderful mommy!! :)
    *lcd

    ReplyDelete