Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Name Game

So I think we have finally narrowed our name choices down to two!  However, I am not opposed to adding more at this time either.  Here is the criteria the name has to meet to even be considered...

1.  The Infant Name Test-How would I feel telling a stranger at the grocery store, "This is my little __________!"  If the name doesn't fit for a baby, it is out.

2. The Child Name Test- What would I think if I saw that name on my class list?  Is it a bad kid name?  A smart kid name?  A cute kid name?

3.  The Teenager Name Test-What would I think if my teenage daughter came home and said, "Mom, I'm going on a date with _________________."  Is it a name that would evoke fear in another mother?  Like Ricco or Casanova?

4.  The Adult Name Test-What would I think if I saw the name on a resume?  Would I want to work with someone by this name?  How would the name sound on a baseball card? (hehe)

So the top two names fit all four!  Yippie.  Here are the pros and cons for each name, though...

Name A
The Pros

  • This name meets our goal for using only the letters in our names. 
  • On a scale from one to ten, I would give this name a 10!
  • It is what I consider a "strong" male name.  
  • It is not in the Top 100 names, however it is in the top 200. 
  • It sounds good with both the middle and last name. 
  • The name is related to baseball in a roundabout way. 
The Cons
  • We have two people in our extended circle of friends who have kids with this name. 
  • There really isn't a nickname for this name that I like. 

Name B
The Pros
  • This name nearly meets our goal for using the letters of our names, but we added a little pizzaz to the name as well. 
  • On a scale from one to ten, I would give this name a 9.5. 
  • There are several nicknames for this name that I like, and one of those nicknames used to be one of my top boy names.  
  • We don't know anyone with this name. 
  • It is not in the Top 100 names, but it is also in the top 200. 
  • The name is related to baseball in a roundabout way.   
The Cons
  • The name does not sound as nice as I would like to it to with the middle name and last name.   

Based on my pros and cons what are you thinking?  Although Name A has two cons, the con for Name B is a pretty big con.  

4 comments:

  1. i vote for b. the names will end up 'fitting together' once the baby comes, especially if they have special meaning. i would place more importance on the 'unique' name over the common name, but that's just me! ;) *

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I hope others respond with some constructive criticism! I honestly dont even know if we will decide on a name until little boy gets here!

      Delete
  2. OMG...you have sooo peaked my interest that I am sure I will be going to sleep for the next 3 months trying to figure it out, although I do have a sneaking suspicion for at least one. Once he's born you will know. Your sister did not have a name before she was born and her middle name did not come into play until the day after she was born and it sooo fits her, just like Fred's will sooo fit him ♥ xoM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say bring them both to the delivery room and when you see him decide :)

    ReplyDelete