Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A-Acimo


You may be asking, “what?”  Well that will be my daughter’s middle name, if I have a little girl.  Huh?   Acimo (uh-SEE-mo) is my middle name and my grandmother’s first name.  It is a Greek name and the English equivalent is Sylvia. 

For the first part of my life I was plagued by this name.   Every other girl in my class had Lynn or Ann for a middle name, with the occasional Elizabeth or Catherine.  Why did mine have to be Acimo?

I distinctly remember telling my third grade class that I did not have a middle name.  For some reason my teacher thought it would be a good idea to go around the classroom and share our middle names.  Everyone had one, but me.  My friends did not believe me, but they let me slide that time!

I don’t exactly remember when I shared my middle name with my friends, but by the end of Little League Chelsea was calling me Cimo all the time.  Eventually, it became a nickname with my closest friends and I loved having such a special name.

Today I love sharing my unique name and the origin with anyone who asks.  After the initial shock and “huh?” moment, most people think it is pretty cool.   It is such an honor to have such a beautiful family name.  And I cannot wait to pass the name on to my daughter someday.  

I hope my Yiayia is proud that her name will continue to live on and be a part of another generation!   

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE your middle name and the meaning behind it. so perfect! :) *

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK...you did it to me again, only this time I'm at work. I'm so glad that I chose the perfect middle name for you, and I can only hope that when you have a daughter that she too will pass that name onto her daughter and so on through the generations. I am so sure YiaYia will be so very pleased when her name is given to her great-daughter some day. xoM

    ReplyDelete