Tuesday, February 14, 2012

N-Names

Oh My God! I never knew the drama involved with picking names!  This is by far the most stressful thing a pregnant woman has to do concerning the arrival of her new baby!   I really thought this would be one of the fun parts, like picking out nursery colors (stress) and registering (more stress)! Is anything stress-free?  

So to avoid any more drama, we have decided to keep the whole name thing a secret.  Not because we want it to be a secret, but because I am having a super hard time dealing with comments from others.

Think about it people...when you ask a mom-to-be what she is thinking of for names she will tell you her top 3 names (or so), not ones that she hates!  So why do you think it is fine to totally bash each and every name?  I would never do that. . . . to someone's face.

Honestly, a few people I know have picked names, that at first I was like, "huh?" but never did I say anything to them about it.  And to be even more honest, those names have turned out to be the coolest.  I guess in some instances it takes a little time to let the names "marinate" in my head and these names really do fit these children perfectly.

So perhaps you should try doing the same. . . The next time a mom-to-be throws out a "different" name.  Don't make rude comments, just say, "Oh that's different" or "What is the meaning behind that?" Because 9 out of 10 times the mom is picking a name that DOES have meaning.

So, if you know either of us in "real life" we have decided that for the next 20 weeks we will be telling everyone our baby will be named Fred.  I do not like the name, therefore, you are allowed to make fun of it.  And know that if/when you come to meet our little boy if you make one comment about his real name I will throw something at you, and Kiel has been instructed to ask you to leave!



*Apparently week 20 is a very angry week!   

6 comments:

  1. :( Sorry you've had a bad experience so far with picking a name. We've been secret about our choices, too. It's sad that people feel as though they have the right to give their [negative] opinion on your choices.

    Try not to stress. Remember it's yours and Kiel's baby and that you are the decision makers :) Your opinions are what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with Shannon more. This is something that does not require the input of anyone else. God has blessed you both and has ultimately put this little one in your charge and in doing this has given you both the God given right to chose the name that you want for Baby S. Go with your heart and what you both decide on. Believe it or not when Little S is born no-one will question his name, although I do like Fred and that just may be Mem's "pet name" for him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew my mama would love the name Fred. For some reason it was the first name that popped into my head the other night when I was having my meltdown. Maybe an angel had something to do with it ;)

      Delete
  3. I know that I will NEVER be asking a mom to be if they have any names yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's part of the reason why we aren't sharing names either. Not to mention we want the ability to change our minds at the last moment and not have to deal with, "I thought you were naming him _____." At this point there are only two others in on Bump's potential name: Calle, our dog and Sam, our friends' 7 month old son. Neither one will be sharing any time soon! (Although if Sam suddenly learns to speak well enough to share the name and share it, then we'll take it as a sign!)

    ReplyDelete