Sunday, February 19, 2012

S-Sports

If our children grow up not loving sports, I will be convinced they are switched at birth.  There is no biological way we could make a baby that does not play at least one sport.  Both of our immediate families are chock-full of athletes.

My side....
Me-I started playing T-Ball at the age of five and never stopped playing baseball/softball [until this spring-no softball for preggo people!] Although I chose not to be on the team, I played in fun leagues throughout college and I have played in the teacher's union league since I began working in Boston in 2005.

I dabbled in soccer when I was five, but it was so unorganized.  I hated how all the kids would get right up on the ball and kick wildly.  I think I lasted one practice before asking if I could quit.  I jumped back into the soccer scene my junior year of high school.  Although I didn't really know the rules or have any skills, I could get to the ball and kick it before the other team.  That's always a plus!

I also ran short distance track for most of my childhood.  I was pretty quick, but nothing special.  More recently I began trying distance running to stay in shape.   Although I am not someone who loves running, I do love setting goals for myself and achieving them!

Corey-Although Corey never played an organized sport until middle school, she always enjoyed watching UConn basketball and "keeping the books" for the team.  She knew all the stats and could tell you anything about any player.

Nik-If any of you know my brother, you know that any sport he tries he is awesome at.  His number one sport is baseball.  He has been playing since he could walk (I am not even joking).  When we couldn't find him a lefty glove made for 2 year olds he insisted my mom just by him a right handed glove.  He trained himself to catch with his left hand and throw with his right.  To this day he still does this, but shoots a basketball lefty and throws a football with his left hand.  Crazy, I know.

He has also played basketball forever and attempted football in 8th grade.  He hated football.  He was not aggressive enough and didn't like the football mentality.  However, fast forward to senior year of high school and all the cool kids are on the football team.  He tried out, and made first string.  I'm pretty sure he scored more touchdowns than anyone else on the team that year.  He was a little bummed that he hadn't tried out freshman year because he could have been a supah stah.  Now he is trying to decide if  he will try out for his college team.  His roommates are both football players and tried to convince him to join this year.  He has to weigh all his options and decide if it is worth the potential risk of getting hurt for baseball season.

Dad-My dad is another one who played sports all three seasons-Cross Country, Basketball, and Baseball.  He continued playing softball in a men's league for many years.  Corey and I were brought up at the softball field because Dad played in so many leagues and Mom worked second shift for the first part of our lives.

Mom-She wasn't as big of an athlete as the rest of us.  She was more like Corey in the sense that she loved watching and being a part of the game, but didn't get involved in playing until she was a teenager.  She too played softball.  

Kiel's side (I don't know as much about his family members' sports careers, but I'll try my best.)
Kiel- He played sports year round too.  He has played organized baseball, basketball, football, soccer, and wrestling.  His top two sports were soccer and wrestling as he won many awards/honors for each as he grew up and could have played either sport at the collegiate level.  As an adult he has continued to play baseball, softball, and soccer.

Jason-Kiel's brother probably played all sports as well.  His big sport was soccer.  He continues to play now and has coached youth girls' teams since Kiel and I met 10 years ago.

Dad-Kiel's dad is another one that probably played all sports growing up.  I have specifically heard him discuss playing football and baseball.  He played baseball at the college level and probably only slowed down as an adult after suffering a pretty serious knee injury.  Today he continues to stay in shape by walking and cycling.

Mom-Kiel's mom probably has a history similar to my own mom.  I don't remember ever hearing about her playing sports, but she was very active in her sons' sports careers.  Today she runs and cycles competitively.


As you can see we have lots of athletes in the family.  Baby boy better love sports, because if he doesn't we are going to have lots of disappointed family members!!

No comments:

Post a Comment