Thursday, February 16, 2012

P-Papou

Papou is what I called my grandfather on my dad's side.  Sadly, he passed away a few months before my fourth birthday.  Despite the fact that I was so young when he died, I still have a few very vivid memories of him. Unfortunately, all of these memories are from when he was sick.

Memory #1- Going to Price Rite with my dad and my sister to buy those banana flavored circus peanut candies. (They were Papou's favorite when he was sick.)  Then we would go to his house and visit with him.  I don't remember him getting out of bed, but he would always try his best to make me and my sister happy and comfortable.  I can remember being very confused, even though my parents had told me over and over again that he was sick, I don't think I ever fully understood what "sick" meant.

Memory #2-Being in the kitchen with Yiayia, and Papou walked in using his cane.  I can remember thinking how wobbly his legs looked.  I'm not sure if they had gone somewhere that day because, I'm pretty sure he was wearing khakis and a green sweater or sweater vest.  (It is amazing what a three-year-old's brain can remember).

Memory #3-Being at Yiayia and Papou's house during Hurricane Gloria (I just googled it and realized that storm occurred just one month after my third birthday).  We (Mom, Dad, Yiayia, Corey and I) were downstairs in the basement, while Papou stayed upstairs in his bed.  I can remember being scared for him because we weren't allowed to go upstairs and I didn't understand why he couldn't be safe with us downstairs.

Memory #4-This is my final memory, and I'm not even sure if it is a true memory.  I can remember him pushing me and Corey in a wheelbarrow up and down their driveway.  Why don't I know if it is a true memory?  Well, we have a beautiful picture capturing this moment, so I don't know if it is a real memory or if I only remember because I've studied the picture so many times throughout my life.

I sad as I am that I was not able to experience many healthy years with my grandfather, I am beyond blessed to have these four memories.

On another note, I am so happy that my father has decided to be called Papou.  I am looking forward to many years and many memories with my children and their healthy Papou.

If there is one good thing to come out of losing my grandfather at such a young age, it is the fact that my grandfather's untimely death has ensured my father get all the medical help he needs.  My dad sees his doctor regularly, and has all the preventative screenings necessary to keep him as healthy as possible.

Every little (and big) kid deserves a Papou.

2 comments:

  1. OK...now that I've read it a 2nd time without tears I can tell you that your Papou would be so proud of you and all that you've done in your 29 years on this earth. He was a very special man who left us all way to early and who would have been a wonderful great-grandfather to "Fred". I am so happy that you have some memories of him and will be able to share those with your children. xoM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very touching, Sis. I really don't remember many things about Papou but from what I have heard about him over the years, he was a wonderful man. I just was talking about him the other day to a lady I work with and was telling her although I was only 2 when he passed I can remember him pushing us in the wheelbarrow. And I said the same thing that u did. I'm not sure if it because of that picture that we've looked at all these years that makes me remember him. Whether its the picture or not, I'm so glad that I can remember something about my grandfather. :)

    ReplyDelete