Friday, February 3, 2012

C-Christmas

Of all the things I should be stressing about, Christmas should not be one of them!

To be fair, I'm not really stressing about Christmas, but I have not decided what I want this holiday to "look like" for my children.

I really do not like what Christmas has become for most children in America.  I am not a fan of the "gimme this and gimme that" generation that has developed in recent years (I may or may not have been a founding member of this group)!  I want my children to understand that there is so much more to Christmas than getting stuff. Lots and Lots of STUFF!

The most important value I want to instill at an early age is the act of giving.  I hope to start having my child donate his or her own toys each year by their third Christmas (at that time s/he will be two and a half).

I also want to avoid the mounds and mounds of presents under the tree each year.  I thought of doing 3 presents to represent the 3 gifts the wise men gave Jesus, but then I don't know if I could stick to that.  I don't want my child to think Santa didn't give him/her less than his/her friends.

I know it is a stupid dilemma to have, but how should we handle this?  What are your thoughts on Christmas and how commercial it has become?  I am looking for advice!!

1 comment:

  1. you just need to do what is right for you & kiel. the little one will learn that it is not all about gifts. i am sure that you will do a great job of teaching this. maybe you could also make a donation to a different [or the same] charity each year in the child's name at christmas time. :)
    *lcd

    ReplyDelete